A proposed policy under the Trump administration to impose visa restrictions on foreign nationals from countries that fail to meet US vetting standards has been put on hold indefinitely, with no revised timeline announced.
The State Department confirmed on Monday that it is still working on the report that would guide the potential visa restrictions but did not specify when it would be completed. The delay comes despite an executive order signed by President Donald Trump on his first day in office, which set a March 21 deadline for recommendations on new visa restrictions. The order directed officials to identify countries with inadequate screening and vetting procedures, potentially leading to partial or full suspension of entry for their nationals.
A list of over 40 countries, including Iran, Russia, and Venezuela, was reportedly under consideration for these restrictions, continuing the policy framework from Trump’s first term, which included a travel ban upheld by the Supreme Court. However, the March 21 deadline passed without any official announcement from the White House.
State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce clarified that the deadline was no longer in effect, calling it a “target date that no longer applies” but provided no explanation for the delay. "The State Department, like every department in President Trump's administration are acting on executive orders, including this one," Bruce said.
The reason behind the administration's decision to delay the report, which would serve as the foundation for Trump's new travel ban and visa restrictions on certain foreign nationals, remains unclear.
"I can't speak to that. But I can tell you that we're working on what the executive order asked for," Bruce stated. She clarified that the measures being considered are not a travel ban but rather "restrictions on other countries" based on whether they meet the necessary security and vetting standards required for entry into the United States.
When pressed on whether a new date had been set, Bruce responded, "No," but assured that the administration is still working on the policy. "Again, because there's not a date, it doesn't mean that it's not being worked on. And so we are all working to implement what President Trump has ordered." The White House declined to comment on the matter.
Visa revocations under review
Trump’s previous travel bans targeting several Muslim-majority countries faced legal challenges but were ultimately upheld by the Supreme Court in 2018. His recent executive order instructed officials to use his previous screening policies as a benchmark for reestablishing vetting procedures. It also directed authorities to identify how many foreign nationals from the targeted countries had entered the U.S. since former President Joe Biden's tenure and to take steps to remove individuals who do not meet the administration's vetting criteria.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated on Friday that the department is conducting daily reviews of visa holders to determine if they pose a risk to U.S. national security or foreign policy interests. “My standard — If we knew this information about them before we gave them a visa, would we have allowed them in?” Rubio said. “And if the answer is no, then we revoke the visa,” Rubio explained. He confirmed that around 300 student visas had already been affected.
Recent cases include Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detaining Rumeysa Ozturka, a 30-year-old Turkish graduate student at Tufts University, due to alleged ties to Hamas. Meanwhile, Lebanese national Dr. Rasha Alawieh, who held a work visa at Brown Medicine in Rhode Island, was deported after Customs and Border Protection (CBP) found content on her phone that allegedly showed sympathy for Hezbollah.
Additionally, ICE arrested Mahmoud Khalil, a Syria-born activist involved in pro-Palestinian protests at Columbia University, and Korean-born Yunseo Chung has filed a lawsuit against the administration to retain her legal permanent residency.
Rubio stated that the visa reviews extend beyond students and include individuals facing criminal charges. “We’ve also identified people that have criminal charges and even while in the country, and still have active visas. Some are unrelated to any protests and are just having to do with potential criminal activity.”